There’s a new technology on the block to zap (“ablate”) tumors and the FDA just approved it for use. NueWave Medical has created a device that utilizes 3D color images to improve physician accuracy and ease of use and it does it in real time.
Tumor ablation uses heat to destroy cancer cells (applied by a probe). Accuracy is important in order to make sure that all of the tumor has been ablated.
This cool medical device opens up better treatment options for patients with cancers, including liver and bone.
This is one of the cool areas that students interested in science and engineering can pursue. Engineers are highly sought after in the medical devise field because of the nature of the technology. Combine this knowledge with the human body and you have lifesaving treatments.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering (Preferred Masters)
- Medical equipment design experience
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines and possess excellent follow through skills.
- Demonstrated ability to positively develop and manage working relationships.