Metro Atlanta is ranked the No. 18 best metro area in the country for STEM professionals in a new report by WalletHub.
No. 1 on the list is Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
Analysts considered per-capita job openings for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) graduates, annual median wage growth for STEM jobs and the projected demand for STEM workers in 2020.
The national annual average wage for all STEM positions was $85,570 —81 percent more than the national average of $47,230 for all jobs — according to the most recent figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The Top 20 Metropolitan Statistical Areas for STEM professionals, according to WalletHub:
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
- Austin-Round Rock, Texas
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.
- Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, Colo.
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.-Wis.
- Boston-Cambridge-Newton, Mass,-N.H.
- Madison, Wis.
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas
- Columbus, Ohio
- Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa
- Salt Lake City
- Raleigh, N.C.
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, Calif.
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas
- Cincinnati, Ohio-Ky.-Ind.
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, Ga.
- St. Louis, Mo.-Ill.
- San Diego-Carlsbad, Calif.
Click here to view the complete list.